Monday 18 June 2012

Introduction!


Hello, I’m Teresa. This is about the third time I’ve tried writing a blog, but it never felt right, neither when I wrote about writing, nor when I wrote about jewellery-making…and especially not when I combined that with my fiance’s troubles following a leg amputation, and what it’s like being a carer.

I think I’ve found good ground now, that I can cover and record in my blog, and hopefully in time I’ll build an audience, just so I’m not talking to myself.

So, the purpose of this particular blog is to show off my hobby, which is bead embroidery. Yes it’s a step up from just stringing necklaces all right, this is much more time-consuming and has become a passion, almost an obsession. I just love doing it. Of course I still string necklaces and bracelets, I love using gemstones, the colours, the feel of them.

I also want to show some of the talent out there too, and there is much to show,  covering lots of crafts.

For now, suffice to say that although I’ve come across as a fairly confident person in life, I haven’t always been completely confident with what I do, it’s often been said to me that I undervalue my own abilities, and that is probably true. I have been crafting in one way or another all of my life, knitting, crochet, embroidery, dressmaking and so on, but I discovered bead embroidery, and this is something I am confident with, I know I’m good at it, I know my work stands well against some of the most accomplished bead embroiderers, though I won’t say I’m up to their standards just yet, I’m still learning, but I’ve already got a few pieces out there, which I’ll show you in here as time goes by, along with new pieces.

Enough for now, here’s my first ever completed cuff. I called it Ceridwen, after the ancient Welsh goddess. The reason for this is I wanted to put a British slant on my pieces, as many follow native American or Eastern European traditions, I wanted something that looks and feels British and reflects some of the wonderful and colourful history hidden over the centuries. I hope that makes sense.

So, introducing my work…and Ceridwen.

I hope you like her.

No comments:

Post a Comment