Monday 18 November 2013

BraceletsByJen. Shop of the Week no. 2

Every Saturday a new shop of the week is chosen by the previous shop of the week from the number of treasuries made for them. This week that honour belongs to Jenn of BraceletsByJen. This is the winning Treasury.




As I open up Jenn's shop page, I'm struck immediately by the vibrant colours she uses in her bracelets. On looking closer, you actually see a combination of colour, then the stunning patterns jump out at you. So who is the person behind the shop? Let's find out.



Tell us a little about yourself and your work.

I am a single mother to a wonderful teenage boy. My son and I live in the Boston area. I have always had a passion for creating crafts. As a child, I would make friendship bracelets for all my close friends in school. Today, friendship bracelets seem to be appearing on the wrists of everyone from children to adults.  The history of a friendship bracelet suggests that a friendship bracelet is given as a sign of friendship. It is intended to be tied on the wrist of a friend and work continually as a symbol of lasting friendship. You can also select colours for a friendship bracelet that reflect the character traits of the intended recipient:
Pink – kind
Red – honest
Orange – Energetic
Green – responsible
Blue – loyal
Black – strong.
Others also say that while the recipient is having the bracelet tied on their wrist by their friend, to make a wish. Traditionally, the bracelet is meant to be kept on the wrist until it’s worn and disintegrates naturally. At that time the wish is supposed to come true.
As time passed, and I was learning new and exciting patterns, I wanted a way to be able to share my work with other people. This is when I decided to open my Etsy Shop.

             Gradient Green Chevron Pattern 




What inspires your work?
I find that creating any type of craft, not just friendship bracelets is soothing. I’ve always used it as a way of unwinding from a long day, or to just relax on the weekends.






What are your favourite colours?
My favourite colours are teal, turquoise and purple. However, when I create my bracelets I enjoy creating

               Ombre/Gradient Purple Chevron 

them in an ombre or gradient looking. This technique involves picking a colour and starting with the darkest shade of that colour. Then you proceed with the next lightest shade of that colour, then the next and so on until the colour is as close to white as possible.






What is your favourite medium/material?
The material I use most in my work is embroidery floss thread. However, I have recently just started using some new materials such as silver clasps and chains. I found that not everyone wanted to tie their bracelet on in the traditional way. Therefore, by cutting the braided ends off each bracelet and adding a clamp instead, along with a lobster clasp, allowed for easy removal of the bracelet.

                                     Intertwined Pattern Embroidery Friendship Bracelet


What is your favourite holiday destination?
I don’t get to see my family often as we are spread out among Massachusetts and New Hampshire. Therefore, I would have to say my favourite destination is my father’s house in New Hampshire. Each Christmas my entire family gets together at his house for dinner and to exchange gifts.

What are you most proud of?
I was a mother at the young age of fourteen. Many people thought that I would never complete high school, as I was a freshman when I gave birth. However, I am happy to say that I graduated in June of 1997 at the top ten percent of my high school class.

Blue Hand Knit Long Warm Scarf

                  Neon Arrowhead Pattern

                     

Set of 3 Mini Halloween Colored Candy Stripe Pattern



Thank you Jenn for taking part in this. 
Do visit Jenn's shop, there are lots of beautiful friendship bracelets and more for you to see. Click here. 







2 comments: