Friday 20 December 2013

NadiasKnits, Shop of the Week no.11

This week's winning treasury was chosen by the owner of shop of the week no. 10, Elizabeth from FairyFlowerDreams and was made by Nadia of NadiasKnits. Here is the winning treasury. 




These days, knitting is increasing in popularity again. This is possibly due to various worldwide economic problems, but I also feel it has as much to do with the beautiful variety of yarns available these days. I knit and crochet myself, though I don't sell my own work, but the fabulous yarns each time I go to the shop! It's amazing and I always want to buy all of them.

This week's shop of the week, NadiasKnits, does just what it says on the tin. It is fabulous knitwear, soft and warm, sumptuous colours, and on browsing, makes you want to wear them all there and then, and go out in the cold winter air knowing you'll be snug and warm. Let's find out about the creator of NadiasKnits...Nadia!




Tell us a little about yourself and your work
I started knitting when I was about 12 years old living overseas. I was inspired by my Grandmother and my Aunt. They made it look so peaceful. They slowly showed me the basics of knitting and I picked it up quickly. Within a couple of months, I was making sweaters. When I returned to the United States, I focussed on my education and then later on my career in Social Services. Although I enjoyed my career, something was always missing. I realised the missing part was my creative side. A friend was telling me about Etsy and encouraged me to open a shop. I started my shop in November 2012 with only one item, which by the way I just sold in December 2013. That was bittersweet.


What inspires your work?

I am inspired by creativity, originality and uniqueness. I’m always trying to come up with something different. Another inspiration for me is, I want the world to realise once again the importance of Handmade, the creative spirit. Many have forgotten the effort, thought and love behind truly handmade knits. When someone purchases an item from my shop, I feel like they are getting a piece of me. This is the best feeling ever! Someone loves something I created!



What are your favourite colours?
I can honestly say I love all colours, but if I were to choose, I would say reds and golds are just beautiful colours. To me the yarn is what I enjoy more than the colour. I love difficult yarns and fabrics, like fuzzy yarns or sari fabric. Also the feel of the yarn is important to me. My favourite yarn would be Cashmere. The feel of it in your hands when you are working with it is amazing!


What is your favourite holiday destination?
I would say my favourite holiday destination would be Jordan. It’s a simple and rustic land. Whenever I visit, I feel like I am part of something bigger. The land is barely touched by time and technology and to me that’s very deep. When I am there I feel like I am part of history. 



What other artists work to you admire and aspire to?
I love abstract art and am always amazed at the many talented painters on the All Handmade By Me Team. I dabble in painting a little but would love to me more like them. I also love the many knitters’ work out there. I know that they understand how much love and effort goes into the knitting process. 





What are you most proud of?
I would say that I am most proud of is how much I have grown over the past year. I feel like I have found who I truly am and want to continue to be, someone who creates one of a kind, beautiful handmade knits that people can use and wear all year round.

Ooooh! And I am working on a secret project right now!






















Thank you Nadia for taking part. If you want to visit Nadia's shop, just click here and see for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment